Sunday, April 22, 2012

Banana Bread Pancakes


Some Sundays I’m all about getting stuff done. Getting up early, getting a workout, shower, and a quick breakfast in before hitting the books. But, let’s be honest, those Sundays are few and far between.

Like, really far. 


I prefer my Sunday mornings to be long, lingering affairs. Hanging out in my pajamas, watching a lot little bit of Hulu, drinking my coffee. And, eating some pancakes.

These pancakes taste just like banana bread. But maybe better? I got a craving for banana bread yesterday while I was making these cupcakes and just couldn’t get it out of my head. But, I didn’t want to deal with the hour-plus cook time only to be left with a giant loaf of delicious banana bread looking at me all day long. I know I’d eventually succumb to slicing off tiny slice after tinier slice (because the thin slices don’t count) until poof! No more banana bread.


Pancakes = portion control. It’s simple math, really.

I left the bananas a little chunkier than normal; I wanted to taste bits and pieces of them throughout the pancakes. A decision I am very pleased with. They’re tender, chewy, and fluffy. The perfect start to any day.


Banana Bread Pancakes (makes 8 pancakes)

2/3 cup whole wheat flour

1/3 cup all-purpose flour

2 TBSP brown sugar

½ tsp. baking soda

¼ tsp. salt

1 tsp. cinnamon

¼ tsp. nutmeg

2 TBSP canola oil

2 egg whites

2 tsp. vanilla

½ cup buttermilk

2 medium, overripe bananas, mashed

Chopped walnuts or pecans, optional

Chocolate chips, optional

Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Place baking sheet in oven.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Set aside.

In another bowl, whisk canola oil, egg whites, vanilla and buttermilk. Pour over dry ingredients, stirring to combine. Mix in bananas. Stir in nuts or chocolate chips if using. Set batter aside for 5 – 10 minutes.

Preheat nonstick skillet over medium heat and butter or oil skillet. Using ¼ cup measure pour batter onto preheated skillet and cook 2 – 3 minutes on first side, until bubbles begin to appear. Flip and cook on opposite side another 2 – 3 minutes.

Remove pancakes from pan and place on baking sheet in preheated oven until finished with batch.

Serve with butter, syrup, or powdered sugar. Or all of the above.


And now this song is stuck in my head. And I really don’t mind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment